SAVI Sister - Sheila H.

Sheila H.

Production Scheduler
Camby, IN
Treated with SAVI – April 2014

Contact Me


I went in for a check-up and my doctor said I hadn’t had a mammogram in five years, so I went to schedule one. We were having bad weather here with lots of snow and they had a cancellation and said they could take me in right then. I thought, ‘Great, let’s get this over with.’ About a week later, I received a letter that the mammogram was showing something, but not to panic, it happens all the time and is probably nothing. I went in, had an ultrasound, mammogram, ultrasound, back and forth. The doctor didn’t like the way it looked, so I had a biopsy and found out it was cancer on February 10, 2014.

Dr. Mary Kay Turner, my surgeon, was great and told me I could do treatment once a day for 4-6 weeks or twice a day for just five days with SAVI. My doctor recommended SAVI and I went for it. My radiation oncologist was Dr. John Cox.

I worked every day during the week of my SAVI treatments, so my energy drained as the days went by. Got to work at 6am, went to treatment at 8, back to work and then back to treatment at 3. I did this Monday through Thursday. On Friday, after the first treatment, I went back to work only for an hour and then went home to rest before my second treatment and removal of the device. I was a little worked up about getting it removed. Sometimes it was a little uncomfortable. But for the most part, didn’t know it was there. I had to keep my dog down, he would get in my lap and get in my face and sometimes bump it. When I agreed to go this route, I wasn’t aware that I couldn’t shower for over a week, but I managed. My device was in my right breast and it looked like I had been shot with an arrow. I took over my husband’s button up shirts that week to keep from having to put a shirt on and off over my head and risk pull the device.

All in all, it was a great experience. My doctors were great and the SAVI representative was great. I had no issues when they put it in or took it out. Receiving the treatments went smoothly. I think it took longer to get the device lined up and hooked up then it did for the treatment! I would recommend this to anyone.